MD Anderson Cancer Center Exercise Physiology Technol in Houston, Texas
Provides quality physical activity care to individuals being seen in Cancer Prevention Center who have been identified at increased risk of cancer due to current behaviors related to physical activity.
• Conduct fitness evaluations for the development of a comprehensive individualized exercise program in accordance with ACSM guidelines
• Proficient in the setup and operation of all monitoring and exercise equipment. This may include but not limited to treadmills, ergometers, strength training equipment, metabolic cart, and body composition analysis equipment.
• Develop collaborative relationships with other departments and assist in conducting research by collecting data and coordinating participants as needed.
• Interpret exercise test results and design exercise prescription encompassing the physician recommendations, testing results, treatment plans and patient goals.
• Provide exercise assessment and evaluate goals and motivations of patients to design an individualized exercise prescription using ACSM Guidelines for cancer risk reduction.
• Conduct needs assessments, plan, and implement, manage, promote and evaluate programs.
• Conduct physical activity/behavioral counseling and follow-up using Motivational Interviewing and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy techniques.
• Contribute in the monitoring, documentation, and communication with interdisciplinary team's plan of care throughout the Integrative Health Program.
Develops and maintains educational resources for physical activity as related to cancer risk reduction.
• Present research and findings on best practices for healthy lifestyle program implementation at professional and scientific meetings.
• Collaborate with Energy Balance stakeholders across MD Anderson (cancer prevention providers, integrative medicine practitioners, cancer risk reduction lifestyle researchers, patient and public education professionals, media and education staff including UT-TV) and other support services to develop, implement, and evaluate educational tools.
• Develops health education and physical activity materials and conducts training.
• Develop and/or maintain program evaluation tools and report program outcomes.
• Present cancer risk reduction education within and outside of MD Anderson.
Explores, develops and utilizes new tools to provide cancer risk reduction education, decision making and goal assessments for physical activity.
• Remain current in physical activity guidelines and recommendations as related to cancer risk reduction.
• Remain current in the other four modalities (nutrition, psychosocial, complementary therapies, tobacco cessation) as related to cancer risk reductions for referral of our patients and any other modalities as deemed necessary by Cancer Prevention Center health care providers.
Required: Bachelor's degree in Kinesiology or related field.
Preferred: Master's degree in Kinesiology or related field.
Required: Two years of related experience with required degree. No experience required with preferred degree.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 163562
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
Work Week: Days
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 41,500
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 52,000
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 62,500
FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
Fund Type: Soft
Work Location: Hybrid Onsite/Remote
Pivotal Position: Yes
Referral Bonus Available?: Yes
Relocation Assistance Available?: Yes
Science Jobs: No