MD Anderson Cancer Center Flow Cytometry Supervisor - 2pm-10:30pm in Houston, Texas
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
• Is a subject matter expert
• Ensures all employees perform accurate Flow Cytometry testing of all specimens types.
• Supervises employees and assists while techs troubleshoot difficult specimens, and oversees in process improvement in wet lab areas.
• Leads troubleshooting of computer functions and ensures all employees are competent and able to perform computer functions.
• Coordinate and ensure the maintenance of policies and procedures for all clinical testing.
• Reviews and updates SOPs in a timely manner to ensure that current practices match the approved procedures.
• Leads the evaluation and validation of new methodologies, tests, and instrumentation.
• Assists with LIS and EMR applications implementation, testing and recommends modifications as needed.
• Perform clinical lab assays, tests, and procedures as necessary.
Productivity, Supervision, and Teambuilding
• Ensures all employees are trained and guides new employee development.
• Ensures productivity standards are met by team members as well as coaches and counsels to improve performance when needed.
• Discovers, develops and leads process improvements that positively impact productivity and laboratory function.
• Ensures all testing phases (including pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical) of laboratory testing are performed in alignment with laboratory policies and procedures.
• Provides a team environment that promotes cohesiveness, communication, respect, helpfulness, and desire for excellence.
• Demonstrates availability, approachability, and the desire to help, encourage and respond to others.
• Manages personnel activities such as performance evaluations, disciplinary actions, monitors the staff progress of Professional Development Model (PDM), staff scheduling, staff coaching and mentoring, among others, in compliance with the institutional, divisional, and departmental policies and procedures.
• Ensures supplies and equipment are ordered and maintained to meet laboratory testing needs.
• Ensures the staff compliance with all regulatory and accreditation requirements and safety standards.
• Performs or oversees competency assessment of all testing personnel in compliance with the regulatory requirements.
• Enforces policies and procedures.
• Participates in the strategic development of employees and of process improvements that positively impact the productivity, function and future direction of the laboratory.
• Oversees the new procedures, lab bulletin, test cost analysis, business plan, competency tests and training of other employees for the new tests, processes or instrumentation.
• Ensures adequate quality control, quality assurance and quality improvement methods are implemented and performed.
• Participates in quality surveillance program such as CAP Mock inspections every six months.
• Oversees the Proficiency testing program according to CAP regulations.
• Provides development opportunities and ongoing feedback to employees to include timely completion of administrative staff and classified employees each evaluation period.
• Provides clear direction and communication to employees within the unit.
• Demonstrates cultural competence that creates an inclusive environment for the diversity represented within the unit's staff.
• Manages operating expenses to budget.
• Completes required 16 hours of continuing education for people leadership skills per year.
• Complete Management Curriculum within required timeframe
Bachelor's degree in a related science field. Eight years of experience in a clinical laboratory to include four years of laboratory compliance and three years of lead or supervisory experience. Must pass pre-employment skills test as required and administered by Human Resources. One of the following: Technologist/Scientist certification in Blood Banking (BB), Chemistry (C), Cytogenetics (CG), Histology (HT), Hematology (H), Histotechnologist (HTL), Microbiology (M), Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) or Molecular Biology (MB) by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) Board of Registry (BOR) OR Certified Histocompatability Technologist by the American Society of Histocompatability and Immunogenetics (ASHI) OR Medical Technologist (MT) or Molecular Diagnostics Technologist (MDT) by the American Medical Technologists (AMT). It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 150870
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
Work Week: Day/Evening
Fund Type: Hard
Work Location: Onsite
Pivotal Position: Yes
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 82,000
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 102,500
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 123,000
Science Jobs: No