MD Anderson Cancer Center Innovation Designer - Service Design in Houston, Texas
Why join MD Anderson Innovation Center?
Joining MD Anderson Innovation Center means imaging the future, transforming health in the #1 Cancer Center globally, working in collaboration with cross functional leaders on the most complex challenges/ problems.
The MD Anderson Innovation Center aims to create transformational change by identifying innovative ideas and unique solutions to problems. Our team works alongside MD Anderson clinicians, researchers, patients and operational leaders using observation techniques, stakeholder interviews and market research to understand how to develop the next generation of digital technology solutions and design groundbreaking experiences.
What will you be doing?
Innovation Designers are responsible for the design of experiences made of people, digital, and physical touch points. The orchestrate value exchanges among them in ways that make the system sustainable for both users and providers.
As an Innovation Designer you will be responsible for the ongoing development of a world-class human-centered design discipline at MD Anderson. You will work within a multi-disciplined team that turns human insights into strategic initiatives, services, and experiences. In this role, you will gather and synthesize qualitative and quantitative research to develop deliverables on large/complex projects. These insights will be used to in designing new experiences, prototypes, presentations and strategies.
You have the uncanny ability to connect deeply with people, articulating insights and creating plans and strategies that balance business needs with physical and emotional needs.
The Innovation team will rely on you to:
• Drive the design of systemic interventions in complex, multi-partner ecosystems.
• Champion visual frameworks, like journey maps, service blueprints, ecosystem maps that help bring clarity to complex challenges in human behaviors, relationships, workflow and processes, and drive decision making.
• Look beyond point solutions and apply design-led thinking to deliver new multi-channel design ecosystems and create the future of healthcare at MD Anderson.
• Establishing research methods and strategies within a cross functional innovation team.
• Independently conduct research, through independent data research and/or user shadowing and interviewing, to identify business problems which require innovative solutions.
• Build consumer empathy and emotionally connect to the lives of the people we serve.
On a typical project you will:
• Design presentations and prototypes to communicate new ideas, experiences and strategies.
• Plan, conduct, and synthesize research with existing/ potential service users and existing/ potential service providers.
• Create project/team statements of work and schedules and ensure associated personal/team quality, cost and timeliness requirements are met.
• Plan and lead co-creation of workshop with stakeholders, partners and customers to drive the analysis of current services and the design of improved/ new services.
• Create and test prototypes to gain insights into assumptions, questions and transformation.
• Work at varying level of fidelity to test isolated assumptions and holistic services.
• Drive operational excellence and efficiency, delivering design quality within project parameters.
• Provide design thought leadership to senior and leadership stakeholders and actively drives co-creation approaches between design and other stakeholders.
• Orchestrate service test sessions using prototyping tools and techniques (digital /physical mock-ups etc.) with users and providers to validate and define details.
Required: Bachelor's degree in Human Centered Design, Graphic Design, Interaction Design, Communications, Applied Social Sciences, or related field.
Preferred Education: Master's degree in Human Centered Design, Graphic Design, Interaction Design, Communications, Applied Social Sciences, or related field
Six years of experience in human-centered design, a related design discipline (e.g. UX design, experience design, service design, graphic design),a related research discipline (e.g. design research, sociology, psychology), strategic business consulting, marketing communications, or related field. With preferred degree, four years of experience as listed above.
Preferred: Experience in:
• Behavior change
• Running focus groups, workshops and conducting interviews
• Designing and facilitating engaging experiences that generate discussion and engage people to communicate openly and think creatively.
• Ability to connect deeply with people, articulating insights and creating plans and strategies that balance business needs with physical and emotional needs.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 143960
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
Work Week: Days
Fund Type: Soft
Pivotal Position: Yes
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 94,800
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 118,500
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 142,200
Science Jobs: No