MD Anderson Cancer Center Language Assistance Manager in Houston, Texas
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is one of the world's most respected centers focused on cancer patient care, research, education and prevention. It was named the nation's No. 1 hospital for cancer care in U.S. News & World Report's 2021-2022 rankings. It is one of the nation's original three comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute.
The primary purpose of the Manager, Language Assistance position is to direct and supervise the personnel in the department participating in language activities. This includes maintaining adequate coverage for oral interpretation services, maintaining schedules and assignments of interpreters. The manager will establish and maintain robust processes for proactively reporting on the language assistance needs of patients coming in for appointments and responding to those needs appropriately. Establishes appropriate quality, safety, experience and productivity metrics for the interpreters. Maintains regulatory compliance with federal and state standards governing access to language services. Continual enhancement of department staffing model, staff roles and responsibilities, design, documentation and communication of productivity and outcome metrics, managing/mentoring staff, planning and evaluating processes. Monitors budgetary compliance and assists in developing long range plans anticipating growth and staffing needs. Participates in strategic planning, execution and evaluation for all Language Assistance programs and initiatives as a member of the department's leadership team.
· Personnel management including but not limited to; recruitment, hiring, orientation, scheduling, assignments, performance evaluation and improvement as needed, all HR functions, competency evaluation, continuing education, wellness and retention of employees.
· Develop, monitor, analyze, communicate and respond to quality, safety, experience, productivity, demand and value measures in collaboration with the Director and other members of the leadership team.
· Collaborates with other Language Assistance leadership in ensuring daily work processes, assignments and communication is designed, executed and assessed to for the highest levels of safety, courtesy and compliance.
· Designs, implements and sustains processes that allow proactive planning of language assistance needs for patients improving the experience for all stakeholders.
· Works collaboratively with other language assistance, patient experience, advocacy, regulatory and compliance leadership to ensuring all language assistance patient rights conditions of participation, joint commission and other regulations.
· Works with clinic and hospital staff, supporting them and identifying specific interpretation and translation needs, initiating services to meet identified needs.
· Provides mentoring and development to staff in the Language Assistance Department including development, communication and monitoring of productivity measures, training, education and competency confirmation.
· Develops continuing education programs to further develop the skills of the team under his/her supervision.
· Other duties as assigned.
Required: Bachelor's degree in a foreign language or related field. May substitute required education degree with additional years of equivalent experience on a one to one basis. Successful completion of the LEADing Self Accelerate program may substitute for one year of required supervisory or management experience.
Required: Four years of medical interpretation experience to include two years of supervisory/management experience.
Must pass pre-employment skills test as required and administered by Human Resources.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 158747
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
Work Week: Days
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 73,000
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 91,000
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 109,000
FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
Fund Type: Hard
Work Location: Onsite
Pivotal Position: No
Referral Bonus Available?: No
Relocation Assistance Available?: No
Science Jobs: No