MD Anderson Cancer Center Senior Animal Technician - Veterinary Medicine & Surgery in Houston, Texas
Senior Animal Technician - Veterinary Medicine & Surgery
Location: United States, Texas, Houston, Houston (TX Med Ctr) at https://mdanderson.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/13479/other-jobs-matching/location-only
Research at http://mdanderson.referrals.selectminds.com/landingpages/research-opportunities-at-md-anderson-cancer-center-14
VP Science 710388
Requisition #: 117971
The Department of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery exists to serve MD Anderson research programs. Our primary mission is to provide the best possible veterinary care, facilities and services in support of the institutional animal care and use program, in keeping with all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care (AAALAC) accreditation standards. The department's capabilities are broad based and flexible to accommodate a variety of research interests while remaining in compliance with required standards. The basis of our program is centered on the well-being of all animals, the best interests of our researchers, and the best interest of MD Anderson and its animal care and use program.
The salary range is min $ 30,400 mid $ 38,000 max $ 45,600
- Routine Animal Care & Specialized Animal Procedures:
- Performs daily animal care and health flagging for assigned areas, including those requiring specialized training such as large animal (USDA-covered species), biohazard , radioactive housing, etc. Ensures the ventilated cage rack system and automated drinking water system are operating correctly and reports alarms or malfunctions to Team Leader or supervisor immediately. Performs specialized procedures such as placing special diet in cages, and ensures special water is placed properly on the cage with the drinking valve removed. Performs routine rodent weanings and separations. Enters billing information into departmental database.
- Facility & Room Care:
- Ensures cleanliness and sanitation of animal housing and ancillary areas. Ensures equipment is cleaned, made available for sanitization, etc., on the established schedule. Reports problems to Team Leader or supervisor. Ensures supplies are adequately stocked.
- Records data in the appropriate hardcopy or electronic system. Ensures that data is entered in a timely manner. Records the completion of assigned tasks using the Viewport system. Ensures that the correct animal identification is placed on animals. Reports any discrepancies to Team Leader or supervisor. Completes all written documentation in clear and legible writing.
- Other Duties as assigned.
Required: High school diploma or equivalent.
Required: Three years of animal care experience to include experience in specialized housing techniques. May substitute required experience with completed years of college on a one to one basis.
Required: Must meet department American Association of Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) certification requirements: Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) within 180 days of eligibility.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html