MD Anderson Cancer Center Senior Physical Therapist in Houston, Texas
Senior Physical Therapist - West Houston - Job Description
Function: Provides direct, professional physical therapy services for hospital and clinic patients.
Scope: Impacts patient treatment and recovery.
Essential Job Functions:
· Conducts patient consultation, evaluation, program planning and treatment to restore function, relieve pain, promote healing, prevent disability and/or facilitate adaptation to permanent disability.
· Reviews patient referrals and medical records.
· Contributes to performance improvement and quality management tasks.
· Participates in patient and student education.
· Assists in orientation of new employees and volunteers.
· Contributes to staff development or community education by presenting education in-services or community presentations.
· Participates in the cross-training program, demonstrating competencies in at least two different services or through attainment of specialty certification.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Received: General Supervision by the Director and Associate Director, Rehabilitation Services. Clinical Supervision by Supervisor, Physical Therapy. Medical supervision for the individual patients by referring and/ or attending physicians.
· Given: Assigned staff.
· Education Required: Bachelor's or advanced degree from accredited School of Physical Therapy.
· Education Preferred: Advanced degree in physical therapy or related field.
· Experience Required: Three years of experience as a physical therapist.
· Experience Preferred: Physical Therapist experience in an acute care setting, preferably oncology.
· Licensure/Certification Required: Current license to practice physical therapy in the state of Texas issued by Executive Council of Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy Examiners. Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certification (CPR).
· Licensure/Certification Preferred: None
· Other Required: None.
Patient Assessment (20%):
· Assess patients' needs by selecting and performing appropriate assessment tools including protocols and procedures aligned with evidence based practice and minimum data set.
· Develop & revise interventions, programs as needed to achieve positive outcomes.
· Identify patient/family communication style. Seek alternate forms of communication with patients, family &/or staff when necessary
· Identifies and implements appropriate outcome measures for patient population to track functional changes and outcomes at initial evaluation and follow up treatments.
Patient Treatment/Quality (20%)
· Identify and initiate evidence based physical therapy interventions which result in improved/maintained patient functional status
· Able to effectively and efficiently treat a wide variety of diagnoses and conditions.
· Demonstrates advanced clinical reasoning in treatment of all patients.
· Provide patient and family teaching and education
· Demonstrates proficiency in timely, efficient and appropriate ordering of DME
· Delegates and supervises appropriately physical therapy assistants and rehab techs, including required documentation per Practice Acts.
· Effectively responds to emergencies and / or unsafe situations
Patient Care Documentation (20%)
· Documentation is concise, logical and uses appropriate and approved grammar, spelling and abbreviations.
· Documentation supports billing including Gcodes.
· Completes all documentation per timeline outlined in department policy and as required to optimize patient care and flow.
· Captures charges in accordance with departmental policy
· Documentation integrates and synthesizes all objective data and supports current clinical picture.
Professional Behaviors & Teamwork (15%):
· Functions effectively as part of an interdisciplinary team
· Communicates clinical and logistical information in a timely manner using effective written and verbal communication.
· Demonstrates initiative with all department and institutional policies and procedures and is compliant with timelines when indicated.
Patient Care Workload (15%):
· Meets targets for volume of billable
· Effectively manages workload to balance completion of consults and treatments.
· Effectively initiates communication with supervisor/peers to assist with patient care when there is a need, such as for priority patients in the inpatient and/or outpatient area, as clinically appropriate
Performance Improvement and Quality Leadership (10%):
· Provides clinical leadership in performance improvement, quality initiatives or program development including activities such as:
o Publishing, teaching, and research both within the institution and the community.
o Mentoring new employees or providing integral support in student educational program and educational events within the department as well as the institution.
o Serves as clinical expert, creating standards of care and completing evidenced-based practice reviews.
· Represents the organization in external professional association activities, and/or
Time limited PI or quality projects as negotiated.
· Is thorough and accurate when performing all PI and Quality Leadership activities.
Education Required: Bachelor's or advanced degree from accredited School of Physical Therapy.
Experience Required: Three years of experience as a physical therapist.
License Required: Current license to practice physical therapy in the state of Texas issued by Executive Council of Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy Examiners. Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certification (CPR).
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 161345
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
Work Week: Days
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 82,000
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 102,500
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 123,000
FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
Fund Type: Hard
Work Location: Onsite
Pivotal Position: No
Referral Bonus Available?: No
Relocation Assistance Available?: No
Science Jobs: No