MD Anderson Cancer Center Senior Research Assistant - Hematopathology in Houston, Texas
The primary purpose of the Sr. Research Assistant position is to provide technical assistance in carrying out various research projects independently and performs technical laboratory duties in accordance with general and/or specific plans.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES Technical
• Proficient in seeking and developing novel methods and techniques in solving difficulties encountered in experiments and research activities involving minimally available patient material
• Process development and continuous improvement of workflow in developing technologies for liquid biopsy
• Provide assistance to PI in preparation of data for grant applications and exploring new and high-risk research projects for future development
• Solve problems in research projects as well as help in contributing to ideas for lab research projects and general lab functions.
• Exhibits independence, initiative and inventiveness in designing, planning and executing the details of experiments
• Address various technical issues that need to be resolved in order to have equipment working to their full capacity and continue to stay on top of the issues
• Assist PI to coordinate collaborating research activities with periodical meetings, teleconferences and site visits
• Present findings of research projects to professional groups and prepares scientific documents and manuscripts for publication.
• Function as a self-motivated researcher
• Stay abreast of technology and pursue innovative strategies
• Plan, organize, coordinate and participate in liquid biopsy, minimal residual disease and other related scientific research projects.
• Capable of preparing scientific documents for publication in reputable science journals.
• Assist PI with the day-to-day management of operations of extramural funded research projects.
• Prepare project reports for PI regarding projects supported by Strategic Alliance and Sponsored Research Agreements.
• Assist PI to meet deadlines and deliverables for sponsored research projects and strategic alliances
• Assist PI with preparation of SOP and oral presentations for projects
• Explore vendors and interact with them effectively to best utilize current technology. Skillful in assisting the PI for technological updates and negotiation with vendors for instrument and reagents purchases
• Actively foster collaborations with multiple entities for work
• Responsible for EHS lab inspections
• Responsible for Lab supplies . Submits orders as needed
Participate in the selection, training and management of laboratory personnel.
• Serve as the point person for the lab
• Serve as mentor for junior laboratory members
• Willing to take responsibility to assure smooth daily operation and logistics of the lab
• Oversight of daily laboratory activities
Bachelor's degree in one of the natural sciences or related field. Three years of experience in scientific or experimental research work. With preferred degree, one year of required experience It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 161610
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
Work Week: Days
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 48,400
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 60,500
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 72,600
FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
Fund Type: Soft
Work Location: Onsite
Pivotal Position: Yes
Referral Bonus Available?: Yes
Relocation Assistance Available?: Yes
Science Jobs: No