MD Anderson Cancer Center Supervisor, Animal Resources - Veterinary Medicine & Surgery in Houston, Texas
Supervisor, Animal Resources - Veterinary Medicine & Surgery
Location: United States, Texas, Houston, Houston (TX Med Ctr) at https://mdanderson.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/12703/other-jobs-matching/location-only
Research at http://mdanderson.referrals.selectminds.com/landingpages/research-opportunities-at-md-anderson-cancer-center-14
VP Science 710388
Requisition #: 116952
The Department of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery exists to serve MD Anderson research programs. Our primary mission is to provide the best possible veterinary care, facilities and services in support of the institutional animal care and use program, in keeping with all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care (AAALAC) accreditation standards. The department's capabilities are broad based and flexible to accommodate a variety of research interests while remaining in compliance with required standards. The basis of our program is centered on the well-being of all animals, the best interests of our researchers, and the best interest of MD Anderson and its animal care and use program.
The salary range is min $ 46,000 mid $ 57,500 max $ 69,000.
1. Staff Supervision &Work Direction :
- Supervise, train, monitor and evaluate assigned personnel. Make recommendations to the Senior Supervisor and Associate Director, Animal Facilities, for hire, merit increases, and promotions. Initiate disciplinary actions. Monitors facility users to ensure that they follow departmental policies and procedures. Reviews animal protocols, purchase maintenance requests. Participates in compliance such as IACUC inspections, USDA inspections, and AAALAC site visits. Serves on rotation for weekend/holiday supervisor and on-call supervisor.
*Plans work schedules and distributes workload. Schedules cage, rack, room cleaning and other personnel duties using Viewport. Performs health and facility observations routinely. Participates in making recommendations on housing space assignments. Performs job duties of all subordinates when there is a lack of available personnel. Performs or supervises specialized decontamination procedures of equipment and supplies into or out of the facility. Supervises in the transport of animals, and may be required to drive departmental vehicles. Participates in compliance functions (e.g. IACUC, AAALAC, USDA, etc.).
3 3. Documentation :
- Monitor electronic facility management systems, etc. Records data in the appropriate hardcopy or electronic system. Ensures that data is entered in a timely manner. Records the completion of assigned tasks using the Viewport system. Completes all written documentation in clear and legible writing. Prepares, assembles, compiles, and maintains animal and equipment inventory for reporting accounting, and billing purposes. Ensures Quality Assurance procedures such as RODAC testing and ATPase, and Kronos time for assigned personnel.
3. 4. Facility& Room Care :
- Monitors overall facility conditions and reports problems to Senior Supervisor or Associate Director. Ensures facility and equipment sanitization occurs according to established schedules. Reports any general health problems and/or animal deaths, major changes in normal room conditions, or facility malfunctions to senior supervisor or Associate Director.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required: Bachelor's degree in a biological science.
Required: No experience required. May substitute required education degree with additional years of equivalent experience on a one to one basis with one year of supervisory/team lead experience in animal care.
Preferred: Animal experience.
Required: Must meet department American Association of Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) certification requirements: Laboratory Animal Technologist (LATG) within 180 days of eligibility.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html