MD Anderson Cancer Center Advanced Practice Provider - Gynecologic Surgery - The Woodlands in Woodlands, Texas
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center is ranked the nation's top hospital for cancer care by U.S. News & World Report's "Best Hospitals." MD Anderson's mission is to eliminate cancer in Texas, the nation and the world through exceptional programs that integrate patient care, research and prevention.
MD Anderson provides cancer care at several convenient locations throughout the Greater Houston Area and collaborates with community hospitals and health systems nationwide through MD Anderson Cancer Network®.
MD Anderson provides medical oncology, radiation oncology and surgical oncology services along with a range of supportive programs at all of its Greater Houston area locations. While MD Anderson - The Woodlands treats all types of cancers, the faculty has particular expertise in the diagnosis, treatment and management of the following cancers: Breast; Colorectal; Dermatology and skin; Endocrine; Genitourinary; Gynecologic; Head and neck; Neurologic; Thoracic.
• Conduct comprehensive assessment of patients throughout the continuum in the surgical, inpatient and ambulatory setting based on age and diagnosis, including psychological status.
• Direct care of patients with a wide range of oncologic diseases to include New patients, Consultations, Follow-Up during and after cancer surgeries and therapies, autonomous survivorship clinic.
• Proficient use of EPIC in the delivery of care.
• Perform and document history and physicals, order and review diagnostic studies, therapeutic procedures, prescribe medications, interaction and direct communication with referring physicians, collaboration with and direct reporting of patient information to the medical staff.
• Coordinate care with other disciplines, build strong collaborative relationships across the organization and the local medical community as many patients require long term and multi-disciplinary care; especially with surgery scheduling.
• Direct care and management in the outpatient setting to include: initiation of evaluation, documentation of clinic visits, patient and family education, obtaining informed consent for treatment, documentation of telephone conversations, identification and treatment of treatment toxicities, management of symptoms, counseling and support, collaboration with and referrals to other health care providers, and provision of education to nursing staff, students, and the community.
• Serve as a medical expert for the Business center and Nursing staff in the intake process of new and transfer patients to ascertain safety, appropriateness, and treatment modality.
• Treatment planning with Physicians, active participation in tumor board review and discussion of cases.
• Engage in peer-to-peer reviews with insurance.
• Perform autonomously in an independent Advanced Practice Provider clinic.
• Participates in perioperative care, which may include: pre-operative and post-operative visits and education.
• Contribute to the development, modification, and interpretation of oncology guidelines, policies, procedures, including quality assurance activities.
• Participate in clinical research as appropriate.
• Work collaboratively with APRN/PA colleagues in the provision of care including covering colleagues, as needed.
• Attend conferences and continuing education/staff development programs to maintain knowledge of current literature and guidelines for care.
• Participate in safety and process improvement initiatives throughout the Houston Area Locations.
• Participate in institutional trainings and meetings, as required.
• Perform credentialed procedures.
Specialty specific responsibilities include:
Performs first and second assist in surgery as directed by the physician (on an as-needed basis). Demonstrates manual dexterity in use of scalpel and sutures. Performs retraction and suctioning, assistance with sutures, and direct hemostasis as needed. Note: Physician Assistant will need to accompany to MD Anderson Cancer Center Texas Medical Center and possibly community hospitals.
Responsible for posting surgical cases, pre-operative orders, obtaining consents and ensuring pre-operative clearance is obtained.
Responsible for ordering and ensuring proper surgical equipment/ instruments are available.
Responsible for patient care in pre-op holding, to include: marking patient, updating H&P, reviewing labs/imaging, ensure consent completion.
Responsible for writing postoperative orders. Responsible for ensuring the patient's smooth transition to the recovery room and/or surgical intensive care unit. Reports patient's medical status to the nurse in charge of the patient, and back to the attending surgeon.
Makes daily rounds (as appropriate) with or on behalf of faculty on in-patients (MD Anderson Cancer Center Texas Medical Center and community hospitals as needed), before clinic, conference, or OR duties.
Performs a variety of inpatient patient care activities (both patient and clinic area): wound care and dressing changes, removal of drain and sutures, etc.
Provide discharge planning for inpatients.
Make arrangements for follow-up care in the Surgery clinic.
May be responsible for inpatient consults when attending physician is unavailable.
Required: Degree requirements as defined by the Texas Board of Nursing (BON) or Texas State Board of Physician Assistant Examiners (TSBPAE) as required for clinical licensure as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse or Physician Assistant.
At least 1 year of experience in Advanced Practice Provider role.
Prior experience in Medical Oncology.
Prior experience in Surgical setting. RNFA Certificate strongly preferred.
LICENSURE / CERTIFICATION
Written authorization from the Texas Board of Nursing (BON) or Texas State Board of Physician Assistant Examiners (TSBPAE) to function as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse or Physician Assistant. Related authorization must be consistent with clinical practice area and patient population.
Basic Life Support (BLS) or Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification.
MAY BE REQUIRED: Eligible to be granted limited prescriptive authority by the State of Texas.
American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS), ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) or PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support) certification as required by patient care area.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 153292
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
Work Week: Days
Fund Type: Hard
Work Location: Onsite
Pivotal Position: Yes
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 100,000
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 125,000
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 150,000
Science Jobs: No