MD Anderson Cancer Center PER DIEM - Physician Assistant - ATC - The Woodlands in Woodlands, Texas
M. D. Anderson Medical Oncology services in the Houston Area Locations provide high quality cancer care to patients in the communities where they live and work. Specially trained board-certified oncologists and multidisciplinary professionals provide a wide range of clinical and psychosocial services. Our highly specialized, integrated, multi-team approach to cancer care includes supportive services such as on-site laboratory, rehabilitation therapy, pain management, access to clinical trials, clinical nutrition, genetic counseling, and oncology nurse navigator.
As part of the integrated care provided in the Houston Area Locations, our Medical Oncologists treat all types of cancers with specific expertise in the management of the following cancers: Breast, Endocrine, Colorectal, Prostate, Thoracic, Gynecologic, Head and Neck, Neurologic, Genitourinary, and Dermatology/Skin.
Advanced Practice Providers in the Houston Area Locations partner with medical oncologists to deliver high quality, integrated, and specialized cancer care. Today, MD Anderson Cancer Center has at least 320 Physician Assistants and that number continues to rise as demonstrated by the value of their skills, knowledge, and abilities in the delivery of cancer care.
Required: Medical Oncology experience.
Prefer MD Anderson Medical Oncology experience
To promote, provide, and maintain patient care under physician supervision in the Medical Oncology areas of the M. D. Anderson Houston Area Locations. Affect patient care and outcomes throughout the disease process across the UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center according to the policies and procedures provided by the UT MDACC and the State of Texas as they pertain to Physician Assistants and Advanced Practice Nurses
Per Diem hours and assignments will be determined by the Supervisor or Manager based on Operational Needs.
Key Functions/ Responsibilities
Conduct comprehensive assessment of patients throughout the continuum in the inpatient and ambulatory setting based on age and diagnosis, including psychological status.
· Direct care of patients with a wide range of oncologic diseases to include New patients, Consultations, Follow-Up during and after cancer therapy, autonomous survivorship clinic
· Proficient use of Epic in the delivery of care
Perform and document history and physicals, order diagnostic studies, therapeutic procedures, prescribe medications, interaction and direct communication with referring physicians, collaboration with and direct reporting of patient information to the medical staff.
Coordinate care with other disciplines, build strong collaborative relationships across the organization and the local medical community as many patients require long term and multi-disciplinary care
· Direct care and management in the outpatient setting to include: initiation of evaluation, patient and family education, writing orders for chemotherapy and other classes of cancer therapy, obtaining informed consent for treatment, documentation of telephone conversations, identification and treatment of treatment toxicities, management of symptoms, counseling and support, collaboration with and referrals to other health care providers, and provision of education to nursing staff, students, and the community
· Serve as a medical expert for the Business center and Nursing staff in the intake process of new and transfer patients to ascertain safety, appropriateness, and treatment modality
· Treatment planning with Physicians, active participation in tumor board review and discussion of cases
· Engage in peer-to-peer reviews with insurance
· Perform credentialed procedures
· Contribute to the development, modification, and interpretation of Medical Oncology guidelines, policies, procedures, including quality assurance activities
· Participate in clinical and translation research as appropriate
· Work collaboratively with APRN/PA colleagues in the provision of care including covering colleagues as needed
· Attend conferences and continuing education/staff development programs to maintain knowledge of current literature and guidelines for care
PParticipate in safety and process improvement initiatives throughout the Houston Area Locations
· Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Degree requirements as defined by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA), required for clinical certification for physician assistants.
Graduate of a Physician Education Assistant training program approved by the Council of Medical Education of the American Medical Association
· PA Certification by the National Commission of Certification of Physician Assistants.
· Licensed by the Texas State Board of Physician Assistant Examiners
· Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certification (CPR), Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS), or Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) training program has to be accredited by the American Heart Association.
Eligible to be granted limited prescriptive authority and DEA privileges by the State of Texas
Failure to maintain licenses/certificates or limited prescriptive authority (if required), may result in termination of employment.
Minimum 1 year of Medical Oncology Experience required.
Prefer MD Anderson Medical Oncology Experience.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 132695
Employment Status: Per Diem
Employee Status: Regular
FLSA: non-exempt, eligible for overtime, and is subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
Work Week: Days
Fund Type: Hard
Pivotal Position: Yes
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 74,100
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 74,100
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 74,100